What lead to this image.

Inspiration doesn't always come until after I have seized the opportunity. 
Such is the case with this image, I have titled "Bathsheba."


Monsoon season is something we in the desert of Arizona look forward to, almost how a child looks forward to the ice cream man driving around the corner. 

As a photographer, I know I should seize the opportunity and go take photos, but I never had the inspiration to create something new and different. Oh, sure I could design a paper boat and have one of my children stand in the water and then do a composite of the child in the boat in the water...but that has been done, it isn't new. 

On this Summer day, as the rain poured down in sheets, my children felt my excitement and desire to go create something. "Mommy, are we going to go take photos in the rain?" I said yes, and told my oldest to go get dressed as I perused my boxes of random photo wardrobe items I had begun to collect. I grabbed the pink terrycloth bath wrap I picked up at a garage sale from the free bin and hollered to my daughter down the hallway that I have something for her to wear. Oh, "and grab a bottle of shampoo!"

By the time we reached the desired location and positioned in the right spot, the rain had reduced to a trickle...this displeased me, but I was already here, so I might as well shoot.

As Sadie lathered the shampoo in her hair, I sang a bit from the musical South Pacific, "I'm, gonna wash that man right outta my hair. I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair. I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair, and send him on his way!" Those who have had me do their photos in the past know that I will break out into song at any moment.

Our shoot decidedly finished when my daughter spotted a father and daughter walking their dogs toward us and she became bashful. It was good that we stopped, because the dogs came splashing in the puddle to say "Hi" to Sadie.

It wasn't until I was done editing and picking through the images that I decided on the title "Bathsheba." 
Note: This was only because she was "bathing" outside, and has nothing to do with seduction. Yes it is named after the Bible story character, but in a completely innocent way. 

Moral of the story -> Don't wait for inspiration to strike. Seize the opportunity and let the journey inspire the end result. - Danielle Bright

1 comment: