My oldest daughter is getting baptized!

So, my oldest daughter Sadie is getting baptized. I had seen another photographer take their child to the temple for baptism photos and I wanted to do the same.
Sadie picked out this dress online. Even though she is 8, the dress is a size 6 because she is so small.
Sadie is actually the smallest child in the 2nd grade, coming up to her peer's chins. 


 I drove her and her siblings out to the Mesa Temple on Saturday at 9am. The other kids behaved alright. Most of the people there were doing volunteer landscaping as the Easter Pageant is just around the corner.
 My Three White Dresses
Elder L. Tom Perry shared this poem written by
his daughter which she read at his granddaughter's baptism.

My mom bought me a white dress,
Not red or pink or blue.
She said it was a special dress
Like very other few,
There has been just one before,
A dress now put away,
That I wore some time ago
Upon my blessing day.
As a little baby clothed In my first white dress, 
My dad held me in his arms,
There to name and bless.
So pure and clean was I just then,
With time to grow and learn
About the Father's plan for me.
My glory I must earn.
Now I've reached the age to judge
The wrong road from the right,
And I am here to be baptized
In this dress of white.
So once again I'm free from sin.
The path is clear to me.
I'll grasp the rod and hold on tight, I vow with certainty.
Just as mud would stain my dress,
Sin would stain my soul.
The key is to repent or bleach,
For whiteness is my goal.
And if I try my very best,
Then richly blessed I'll be,
Wearing inside God's holy house
White dress number three,
So today I make this pledge:
I'll strive to choose the right,
Through this sacred baptism ordinance
In my second dress of white. (Linda Gay Perry Nelson, 1993)
 Sadie being sassy. There were no clouds that morning, but the sky was dingy from air pollution. One of the reasons we look forward to rain out here in the desert.
 In our church, we practice the ordinance of baptism by immersion. My husband, Sadie's father, will be the one to baptize her. It will take place in a special baptismal font at our church building this Saturday. We have  invited friends and family to come witness and support her choice.
 Sadie will then be given the Gift of the Holy Ghost which she will receive by the power of the priesthood, by the laying on of hands (on her head) by her father, uncles, and grandfathers.
 Much like Communion is in the Catholic church, we believe at the age of 8 that a child is able to determine the difference between good and bad. Partaking of the sacrament on Sundays will be like a weekly baptism. It is a chance for all of us to redirect our lives back to Christ.
 Here is Sadie standing outside the front of the Mesa, Arizona Temple. This is the same temple where my husband and I were married and sealed for time and all eternity. I cannot say whether she will get married here too, but it would be neat. She will be able to go inside at the age of 12 to do proxy work baptisms.

3 comments:

  1. These turned out so cute!!! Cant wait for saturday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You worded everything so beautifully and the pictures are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We baptized our daughter at age 10 and we dressed her in a simillar dress only it was knee length and somewhat poofy.gramma made her a cute bonnet to match the dress and then she wore lace anklets and white shoes.her great aunt gave her a pair of white plastic pants with ruffles across the back to wear under the dress.she looked adorable in her outfit for her baptism!

    ReplyDelete